Get involved: send your pictures and news by texting Hillingdon Times to 80360, or email us
The world’s eyes will be on Elmbridge, Kingston and Richmond on the opening weekend of the 2012 Olympic Games when the cycling road race and time trial pass through the boroughs on Saturday, July 28, Sunday, July 29 and Wednesday, August 1.
Where and when to watch the races:
Crossing points will be dotted along the route. There will be two disabled viewing areas at the Marquis of Granby, in Portsmouth Road, Esher, and outside Hampton Court station.
The men’s race on Saturday, July 28, is expected to come over Hampton Court bridge at about 10.35am, and hit Walton at 10.45am. It will hit Esher at about 3.05pm, and then return through Hampton Court at 3.10pm.
The women’s cycle race on Sunday, July 29, passes Hampton Court Palace at 12.40pm, Walton at 12.50pm and Esher at 3.10pm. It returns through Hampton Court at 3.10pm.
Drivers are advised to leave cars at home, walk where possible and book travel in advance where possible.
Closures will start from 4am and Surrey County Council anticipated roads would reopen about three hours after the final race vehicle had passed through each area.
Traffic was expected to remain heavy across the borough when roads re-open, so people have been advised to leave cars at home for the day. Hampton Court will re-open much later than the other locations because the cyclists pass it twice.
The time trial race on August 1, and the rehearsal time trial on July 31, will see rolling road closures, so avoid driving where possible.
Esher’s Civic Centre will be closed on August 1 due to the Olympic time trial race. It will re-open on Thursday, August 2, at 8.45am.
Elmbridge has opened four additional car parking sites (available from 1am on the date of each event) for people that want to view the cycling races along the routes: Brooklands Community Park event, Leg O’Mutton open space, Cobham, Elmbridge Eagles Rugby Club, Claygate.
Parking in all sites will be £15 per vehicle, per day and booking confirmation needs to be brought to the sites.
Limited access to the car parks will be available during the events, but early arrival is highly recommended because of the road closures.
Road Race: Saturday July 28 (men), Sunday July 29 (women)
Starts and finishes at The Mall.
Total distance (approx): Men 250km/156 miles, women 140km/87 miles
Full and partial road race closures for July 28 and 29:
• A244 High Street, Oxshott
• A244 Leatherhead Road, Oxshott, from Oxshott Road to High Street
• A245 Byfleet Road, Weybridge, from its junction with Brooklands Road to its junction with Parvis Road
• A307 Portsmouth Road, Esher, from High Street to Hampton Court Way, including the Scilly Isles roundabout
• Bridge Street, Walton, from Hepworth Way to Oatlands Drive
• Brooklands Road, Weybridge, including the area also known as Caenswood Hill
• Church Street, Walton
• Claremont Lane, Esher
• Copsem Lane, Oxshott to Esher, including the roundabout at the A3 junction
• Hanger Hill, Weybridge, including roundabouts at the north and southern ends and at its junction with Queens Road
• Hepworth Way, Walton
• High Street, Esher, from Claremont Lane to Portsmouth Road
• Hurst Road, East Molesey to West Molesey
• Oatlands Drive, Walton to Weybridge
• River Bank, East Molesey
• Terrace Road, Walton
• Warren Lane, Oxshott
Elmbridge car parks where accessed is blocked or severely restricted during the road races on July 28 and 29:
• Thamesmead, Walton
• Manor Road, Walton
• Drewitts Court, Walton
• Oatlands Village, Weybridge
• Heath North, Weybridge station
• Heath South, Weybridge station
• Steels Lane, Oxshott
• Berguette, Esher (access via Waitrose car park)
• Civic Centre, Esher
Time Trial: Wednesday August 1
Starts and finishes in the Hampton Court area.
Total distance (approx): Elite men 44km/27.3 miles, Elite women 29km/18 miles
Elmbridge car parks where accessed is blocked or severely restricted during the time trial on August 1:
• Walton Road, East Molesey
• New Berry Lane, Hersham
• Hollyhedge Road, Cobham
• Highwaymans Cottage, Esher
• Civic Centre, Esher
• Southbank, Long Ditton
Full and partial road race closures for July 31 and August 1:
The time trail rehearsal on July 31 will see rolling road closures between 10am and 2pm. On August 1, initial road closures will start at 5.30am.
Hampton Court Road, north of the roundabout to the entrance of Bushy Park, will be closed from 10pm on July 31 until 5.30am on August 2 and the southbound A3 exit slip at Painshill will be closed from 8.30am on August 1.