Man dies after midnight mass attack

Man dies after midnight mass attack

A man has died at Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, after being attacked on his way to a Christmas Eve midnight mass

Alan Greaves died after being attacked on his way to a Christmas Eve midnight mass

First published in National News © by

A man has died after being attacked on his way to a Christmas Eve midnight mass.

Alan Greaves, 68, from Sheffield, was found on the pavement close to his home.

South Yorkshire Police said Mr Greaves died on Thursday night in the city's Northern General Hospital.

Mr Greaves, a grandfather of High Green, died from head injuries.

Detective Superintendent Matt Fenwick said: "Mr Greaves appears to have suffered a brutal attack after leaving his home address to attend midnight mass. At this stage, the motive is unclear. I want to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident. If you know who did this, please come forward and offer your support to the family at this difficult time."

Mr Greaves was an organist and lay preacher at St Saviour's Church in High Green, and was on his way to play for midnight mass when he was attacked.

Rev Canon Simon Bessant, who worked closely with Mr Greaves and his wife Maureen, a church community worker, said: "He was a good man and this was an evil act. He was a gentle soul. He wasn't foolish - he would have handled the situation as best as anyone would but we don't know what he encountered."

Mr Bessant, who was expecting Mr Greaves at the church, went on: "He never arrived, which we thought was strange. Sadly, he was attacked about 250 yards from the church. His family were all at home and the police contacted them at about midnight to say there has been an accident.

"I spent most of Christmas Day with him and the family. They have a strong faith but that doesn't mean you don't feel the difficulty. It was a hard vigil by his bedside, watching him struggle. His wife wants justice but she doesn't want vengeance. She is not embittered but obviously she wants this person to be caught."

The police have opened the case as a murder inquiry.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree