A mother was rescued by her brave six-year-old son after she was left unconscious on the floor following an epileptic seizure.

Alison Roper, a 33-year-old mother from North Watford, suffered an unexpected episode in her bathroom on November 24.

It had been many years since her last seizure, and as she was overcome she collapsed and banged her head on the tiled wall, knocking her out.

With her husband Richard out of the house at a Watford Ladies football match, she was alone with just her nine-month-old daughter Madison, five-year-old boy Max and her six-year-old son Jenson.

Jenson came across his mother lying on the floor and used his initiative, unlocking his mother's mobile phone and calling his father.

Hillingdon Times:

Alison (left) and Jenson (right)

Unable to get through, he realised that his father was watching the match and called his grandmother to alert her that “mummy is passed out”.

Mrs Roper, who believes the seizure may have been triggered by a throat infection, said: “When you have a seizure, you forget where you are and what happened.

“It wasn’t until afterwards that my mum explained the situation to me.

“I definitely didn’t expect it. In all honesty I thought Jenson would have seen me and just started to panic so I was amazed to hear that my son had the potential to save my life.”

Mrs Roper’s mother alerted emergency services and she was taken to Watford General Hospital's accident and emergency department.

As she recovered, she reassured her concerned son that she was OK in a FaceTime video call.

Even staff at the hospital sent their praises to Jenson as they were amazed to see how courageous he was in a time of emergency.

After she was discharged on Tuesday, she was delighted to see how excited her son was.

She added: “I’m feeling much better now, I went home to surprise him, and Jenson was just so happy to see me being okay.

“He asked me ‘mummy what happened’, and I tried to explain to him about the seizure.

"I’m so proud of him as the situation could have been a lot worse.”

Mrs Roper was left with a large bump on her head from hitting the wall of the bathroom but is otherwise in a healthy state and glad to be back with her family.

There are around 1,200 epilepsy-related deaths a year.