A house that was struck by a fire which shut a major road for hours is suspected to have been a cannabis factory.

A fire broke out on the edge of Bushey Heath first thing yesterday (April 6) and multiple fire crews rushed to the scene.

The road in Sparrows Herne was closed by police for most of the day, only reopening at around 5pm.

Hertfordshire Constabulary has confirmed that a suspected cannabis factory was discovered inside one of the properties affected, and police are currently investigating.

No arrests have been made at this point.

Yesterday, police at the scene said they were treating the area as a crime scene while enquiries are carried out to determine the cause of the fire.

A spokesperson from Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue said: "Our team are aware that one of the properties affected was a suspected cannabis factory however, this matter is being dealt with by the police."

At the moment, Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue continues to investigate the cause of the fire, but it is believed it may have been accidental.

Firefighters outside one of the homes affected

Firefighters outside one of the homes affected

Fire crews were called to the scene at 5.52am on April 6, and police were alerted shortly after.

On arrival, firefighters found that a fire on the first floor of a terraced house, which spread into the roof space and to two neighbouring properties.

In total, there were thirteen fire engines called across Hertfordshire – including an aerial ladder and a command support unit – to help tackle the fire.

It is said that the fire was extinguished by 8.15am, but crews remained on site after being concerned that there could still be people in the buildings.

However, after a search everyone was accounted for safely, with some of the emergency services spotted leaving the scene at around 10.30am.

A police cordon and some fire crews remained in place until around 5pm.

A police cordon remained in place for most of the day

A police cordon remained in place for most of the day

A spokesperson from Hertfordshire County Council, speaking on behalf of the fire and rescue team, said: “This was a difficult operation for fire crews as the fire caused extensive damage to the buildings, including a partial collapse of the roof and internal floors.

“Structural engineers are assessing the building.”

From the outside it appeared serious damage was caused to rooftops both at the front and back of one house, with shattered windows, with similar damage to the other two properties in the same complex.

One eyewitness, Lisa Lorton, recalled after being woken up by the noise, she looked outside and saw smoke.

She stated it appeared the houses had ‘severe damage’.