FOUR fire engines and around 25 crew were called to a blaze at a shop with flats above in Maxwell Road, Northwood, in the early hours of this morning (28).

Part of the ground-floor shop was damaged and one person left a first-floor flat before the brigade arrived. There were no reports of any injuries.

Investigators believe the fire involved lithium-ion batteries used for an electrical device.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Batteries can present a fire risk if they’re over-charged, short-circuited, submerged in water or damaged.

"Unplug devices once they have finished charging and always make sure you use the right charger for your device.”

The brigade was called shortly after midnight and the fire was under control by 2.04am. Crews from Ruislip, Harrow and Hertfordshire attended.