FIRE crews are reminding people of candle safety advice after a blaze at Nicholls Avenue, Hillingdon, this morning (9).

Part of a flat, on the first floor of a mixed-use commercial and residential building, was damaged.

One woman escaped before the brigade arrived and was treated at the scene.

Station Commander Tom Conlan said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fires in the home.

“It’s really important you never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire, such as curtains, furniture or clothes.

"We recommend swapping traditional candles for LED flameless ones, which are much safer.”

The brigade was called at 5.59am and the fire was under control by 7.33. Crews from Hillingdon, Hayes and Southall attended.