FIREFIGHTERS are reminding people to cook safely after a meal that was being prepared at a house in Blyth Road, Hayes, yesterday (17) got out of control.

Crews led a man to safety via an internal staircase from the smoke-filler ground floor kitchen.

A woman was assessed at the scene and a man was taken to hospital by ambulance.  

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than any other room.

"Cooking should never be left unattended on the hob or grill. If you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.”

The brigade was called at 3.04pm and the incident was over by 3.16. Three fire engines and around 15 crew from Hillingdon, Heathrow and Hayes attended.