A LANDLORD in Hayes has been forced to pay more than £6,000 after a tribunal upheld Hillingdon Council’s decision to fine him for numerous safety risks.

These were judged to have been caused by his poor management of a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO). 

Pradeep Kapoor, of Iver, had appealed a penalty notice for £6,500, issued by the council, for five breaches of HMO regulations.

Issues included: no restrictors being fitted on some of the windows, permitting the storage of combustible materials under the stairs, a door not meeting fire safety standards and there not being a fire separation between kitchen and hall.

Council officers also discovered exposed electrical wiring and a faulty extractor fan in the bathroom, dirty and greasy kitchen areas, a defective front door lock and dust and cobwebs around the stairs.

Cllr Eddie Lavery, Cabinet Member for Residents’ Services, said: “This case serves as a reminder to landlords they are not above the law.

“They have a duty to proactively manage all of their properties, routinely identifying and resolving problems as they arise.

“Kapoor flagrantly ignored a multitude of issues which not only broke the law but put the safety of his tenants at risk.”