Get involved: send your pictures and news by texting Hillingdon Times to 80360, or email us
Hayes and Harlington (House of Commons)
Mr John McDonnell MP (Labour)
Surgery: Pump Lane
Surgery Tel: 020 8569 0010
MP Since - 1997 Majority - 10,824 Born - 08/09/1951. Married 1 son, 2 daughters.
Education - Great Yarmouth Grammar School, Burnley Technical College, Brunel University, Birkbeck College, London University.
Previous Occupation - Production Worker (1968-73), NUM Insurance Department (1977-78), TUC Researcher (1978-92), Principal Policy Advisor at Camden BC (1985-87), Chief Executive, Association of London Authorities (1987-95). Chief Executive, Association of London Government (1995-97).
Personal Overview - Has a public sector career background, with Trade Union connections and Local Government experience, both through working and as a Councillor in the old Greater London Council (GLC). Was prepared to publicly support Ken Livingstone as London Mayor (as an Independent), which effectively burnt his ministerial bridges. He has elsewhere proved willing to tackle the Government over areas not finding his favour, and has been amongst some of the Labour backbench rebellions. Announced in July 2006 that when Tony Blair decided to step down that he would stand for the leadership of the Labour Party. In the event, he failed to achieve the required 45 parliamentary backers needed to enable his name to go forward into the leadership contest, leaving Gordon Brown unchallenged. He also expressed a wish to stand for the leadership in 2010, dependent again on his ability to gain the required number of parliamentary backers. Was suspended from the Commons for five days for picking up the ceremonial mace during a debate (January 2009).
Political History - Councillor, GLC (1981-86), MP Hayes & Harlington (1997-). Member of the Deregulation (& Regulatory Reform) Select Committee (1999-2002). Member, Unopposed Bills (Panel) (1999-2004). Member of the Justice Select Committee (2013-).
Characteristics - May have an interest in Local Government issues, particularly those connected with devolution/regional government, especially as it affects London.
Business Tel: 020 7219 6908
Interests: General Economy,Northern Ireland,Local Government
- Justice Committee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Chronic Pain (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Conflict Issues (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Connecting Communities (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Disability Group (Member)
- Down's Syndrome Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Gypsy Roma Travellers (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Learning Disability (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Maternity (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Improving Patient Access to Medical Technology (Member)
- Motorcycling (Associate Group) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Muscular Dystrophy (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Refugees (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Small Shops Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Social Work (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Tamils (Member)
- Tidy Britain Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Global Tuberculosis (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Depleted Uranium (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Water and Sanitation in the Third World (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Weapons and Protection of Civilians (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Women in Parliament (Member)
- Chagos Islands (British Indian Overseas Territory) Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Ethiopia (Member)
Ealing and Hillingdon (Greater London Authority)
Dr Onkar Sahota AM (Labour)
GLA Member Since - 2012 Majority - 3,110 Born - 19 (Punjab, India).
Education - Syon School for Boys. Sheffield University Medical School (1983). London Business School MBA (2000).
Previous Occupation - GP (1989-), practice covering Hanwell and Southall.
Personal Overview - Captured this seat at the 2012 elections on a large swing from the Conservatives. His family arrived in England in 1961 and he grew up in Southall, London. With a medical career background, he has been a long serving GP, establishing his own practice in 1994 covering Hanwell and Southall. He has focussed his campaigning on health issues and providing improved opportunities for the local community. He set up campaigns to oppose the closure of A&E units at two London hospitals, the Ealing Hospital and Central Middlesex Hospital.
Political History - Ealing and Southall Labour Party Campaign Co-ordinator (including 2010 General Election). GLA Member Ealing & Hillingdon (2012-).
Other Information - Has a Facebook presence at Facebook:- http://en-gb.facebook.com/people/Onkar-Sahota/637557817
All Party Groups - N/a.
Business Tel: 020 7983 4000
Interests: Health & Safety,Health
London (European Parliament)
Ms Marina Yannakoudakis MEP (Conservative)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 16/04/1956. Married, 3 children.
Education - Brunel University, BSC in Government, Politics and Modern History. Open University, MA in Education.
Previous Occupation - Financial Director of a family business (pan-European).
Personal Overview - Elected to the European Parliament from third place on the London Conservative Party list. Has been involved running a small business for over 23 years with experience negotiating in in Europe on behalf of her UK clients. She has campaigned to reduce regulation on business, reducing EU waste and fraud and on the sensible managing of migration. She also has experience raising funds for charity, as a former Chair of the Mayor of Barnet's Charity Appeal 2005/06 raising money for the mental health charity MIND.
Political History - Councillor, London Borough of Barnet. Has been Deputy Chairman of Chipping Barnet Conservative Association. MEP London Region (2009-). Membe rof the Delegation to the EU-Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia Joint Parliamentary Committee (2009-). Substitute member of the Delegation for relations with Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Kosovo (2009-). Member of the Women's Rights and Gender Equality Committee (2009-). Member of the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety Committee (2009-).
Other Information - School Governor. She was a Chairman of the Federation of Conservative Students at Brunel University and Chairperson for Communications on it's Student Union Executive. In her spare time she plays the saxophone and produces her own sculptures which she donates to charity.
Intergroups - N/a.
Interests: Business & Finance,Small Business,Local Government
- Environment, Public Health & Food Safety (Member)
- Women's Rights & Gender Equality (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org